By Inspiring Olivia
¾ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ cup Camino Chili + Spice Hot Chocolate (or any other brand)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp cayenne pepper (more if you like the heat)
¾ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup + 2 Tbsps brown sugar
1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
2 tsps vanilla extract
½ cup buttermilk (or ½ Tbsp lemon juice + milk to fill ½ cup)
1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
2/3 cup icing sugar
¼ Heavenly Honey chocolate honey or 3 Tbsps honey + 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line your cupcake tins (x2) with liners or grease the tins.
- Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, hot cocoa powder, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, oil and vanilla. Add in the dry ingredients and buttermilk and mix until smooth.
- Fill each liner to ½ full and bake for 17 – 20 minutes, or until you can insert a toothpick and pull it out clean. Let these cupcakes cool to room temperature.
For the buttercream frosting + toppings
- In a stand mixer or a bowl for a hand mixer, add your butter and mix. Add in vanilla extract, icing sugar and chocolate honey (or honey + cocoa powder) and continue mixing. Once the buttercream is ready, it should appear light and fluffy.
- Using a piping bag + tip of choice, pipe a swirl of buttercream frosting onto your cupcakes.
- If you have a torch at home, safely and carefully toast your marshmallows. Then, add a few onto each cupcake.
- Lastly, using any chocolate bar of choice (mine is the Camino 80% dark chocolate), use a peeler to grate off small chocolate curls into a bowl. Sprinkle the curls gently on top of your cupcakes.
- You are all done and deserve to enjoy your spiced hot cocoa cupcakes!
About the Author