Pumpkin spiced cupcakes
1 1/3 cup all purpose flour (or gluten free 1:1 flour)
1 ¼ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp pumpkin spice extract (or other extract)
½ cup plain Greek yogurt
Salted caramel frosting
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 ½ - 2 cups icing sugar (based on preference)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp salted caramel sauce (store bought or homemade)
Sprinkles and candy corn
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, extract and mix.
- Add in Greek yogurt and mix until combined.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- * Optional - Separate batter into 3 bowls. Add orange colouring into one + mix and yellow colouring into another bowl and mix. Fill cupcake liners with 1/3 of each colour (3/4 full).
- Or, fill the cupcake liners with the uncoloured batter ¾ full. Bake for 16 – 18 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove and cool the cupcakes completely.
- For the frosting, add the butter to the bowl of your stand mixer and beat until smooth. Add in the icing sugar ½ cup at a time and test the frosting sweetness after 1.5 cups and add more if needed. Add in vanilla extract and mix. Add in salted caramel sauce and combine until smooth.
- Using the piping tip of your choice (I used the Wilton 1M) and a piping bag, frost your cupcakes in an upwards swirl starting from the edge of the cupcake. Repeat for all cupcakes and top with sprinkles and candy corn!
- Dig in and enjoy!