By Michelle Lauer CNP, terra20 team member
Struggling to find healthy, nut-free lunchbox-friendly snack ideas? We’ve got you covered with these easy-to-make school safe cookie dough bites with real ingredients from terra20. Not only do they satisfy those midday sweet cravings without any refined sugar, they are also really simple to make. Added bonus? It’s a great way to get those little helping hands into the kitchen on Sunday night. Loaded with healthy fats and fiber, these bites keep hunger at bay between meals.
Adapted from Real Food Whole Life
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup melted sunflower seed butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp Himalayan Pink sea salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups oats
- 5 tbsp shredded coconut
- 5 tbsp chocolate chips
- Place the oats in a blender and blend until they become a flour consistency.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the melted coconut oil with the sunflower seed butter, maple syrup & vanilla extract.
- Next, add in the sea salt, cinnamon and oat flour until a dough forms. Then add your shredded coconut and the best part, chocolate chips!
- Using a tablespoon measure or a small ice cream scoop, gently roll the dough into balls and place on a plate covered in parchment paper.
- Place the bites in the refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes. Store in the fridge for up week (if they even last that long) for the perfect school safe snack!
We love seeing litterless lunches in action! If you try this recipe or want to share your favourite school-safe snacks tag @exploreterra20 & #litterlesslunchmadeeasy!
Erabl’Or Maple Syrup
We all know we should be consuming less refined sugar throughout the day, but sometimes it’s hard not to fall for that sweet treat in the afternoon. Straight from Quebec, this organic maple syrup allows us to indulge in our sweet tooth with the added benefit of higher nutrients and antioxidants than the refined counterparts. Plus, what better way to support a Canadian made product?
Nuts to You Sunflower Seed Butter
Made in Paris, Ontario, Nuts to You is a fantastic nut-free replacement for the classic PB. This humble seed butter is packed with the antioxidant superhero, vitamin E. Sunflower seeds are a great source of B vitamins, which are essential to combatting that afternoon dip in energy. They also provide a healthy dose of fiber to help our digestive systems running smoothly. This butter is also one of our favourite school-safe sources of health fats which is essential to optimal growth and development as well as helps to balance blood sugar, keeping us satisfied until our next meal.
Cinnamon not only adds a sweet, delicious flavor to this recipe but also an added antioxidant boost! Cinnamon has also been said to balance blood sugar which will helps us avoid those nasty energy crashes during the school day. We love sneaking this superfood in whenever we can!